Sunday, March 9, 2014

Boko Haram: Army Wipe Out 210 Terrorists In Sambisa Forest


Boko Haram: Army Wipe Out 210 Terrorists In Sambisa ForestOver 210 suspected Boko Haram terrorists were liquidated, minor and satellite camps destroyed in the past few days by security forces carrying out raid on Sambisa Forest. Multiple enclaves of the sect did not survive the raid as well.
The operation was described as a “major feat” by the military since the commencement of the state of emergency in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States in May last year.
Both local sources and the military confirmed to Sunday Trust that the clampdown on the insurgents was in active phase, pointed out that it was yielding the desired results.
An unnamed security source revealed that huge resources and manpower have been mobilized to volatile areas in Bama, Gwoza and Damboa local governments of Borno State, as well as around Gulani and Gujba local governments in Yobe State.
All the areas listed above have routes which lead to the Sambisa Forest, one of the biggest hideouts of Boko Haram fighters.
Another source narrated about the operation in the northern parts of Borno State and the remote communities near Lake Chad and Cameroon and Niger borders.
“Two medium but dangerous camps have been cleared in Anagarno and Ajiri, while tiny enclaves spread across Kukawa/Baga, Abadam/Mallam Fatori, Gamboru Ngala, Dikwa and Mafa have been successfully uprooted with serious casualty on the side of the terrorists,” the source said.
The combined efforts of security agencies, Army led to death of over 210 terrorists in a couple of days, with many captured alive, while hundreds of them were wounded and fleeing.
The source said the “recent success” was as a result of recent reorganization, re-strategizing and synergy among various security agencies. Another root success is that more troops, with advanced warfare training and equipment, have been deployed to volatile areas.
Some locals in Damboa and Bama local government areas said some of the destroyed Boko Haram camps were becoming sites for tourist attraction.
“People are now visiting some of the destroyed camps near Sambisa. There are dead bodies, destroyed vehicles and personal effects of the terrorists all over,” Lawan Mato, a trader in Damboa said. 
It would be recalled that the Nigerian security forces had come under serious criticisms over their alleged inability to contain the rampaging posture of the Boko Haram. The number of people killed in Boko Haram attacks in the North-East in this year alone exceeded 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment