Thursday, February 13, 2014

Reggiana Appoint Nigerian Man As Coach

 

Italian Lega Pro 1 side Reggiana have appointed former Nigerian player Matthew Olorunleke as their head coach.
The Nigerian, who becomes the first and youngest African coach in the Italian league division at the age of 30, signed a three-year deal at the club and will be assisted by Marcelo Montaniri at the Città del Tricolore stadium.
Olorunleke who began his career as a teenager with FC Ebeidei in Nigeria has been an assistant coach with Reggiana for the past three years and was once the head coach of Bagnolese.
"I'm delighted to have been appointed as the new coach of the team but please don't address me as the first black African coach in Italy because the colour doesn't define me," the former Juve Stabia defender stated.
Olorunleke who had his entire playing career in Italy further said that his primary objective assuming the post is to finish in the play-off spot for the Serie B.
"The President Alessandro Barilli has much faith in me and I want to repay him back with a play-off finish at the end of the season." Reggiana are currently 13th on the Lega Pro with 22 points from 21 games and are eight points adrift the play-off spot.
"It's a possiblity and I want to show how good I can be as a coach," he told Complete Sports from Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment