Monday, February 24, 2014

CNN cancelling Piers Morgan Tonight after a crash in ratings

After three years of running Piers Morgan Live, CNN has confirmed plans to cancel the prime time show due to poor ratings. According to the New York Times, the host of the show Piers Morgan, who stepped up as the replacement for Larry King (who ran for 25 years), said last week that he and CNN president Jeff Zucker had discussed the show's failure to connect to the network's audience and had decided to cancel it. The last shows will be aired in March.
"It's been a painful period and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings. Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it. That's run its course and Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me. I think I can credibly do news and the ratings reflect that, but it is not really the show that I set out to do," Morgan continued. "There are all kinds of people who can do news here. I'd like to do work — interviews with big celebrities and powerful people — that is better suited to what I do well and fit with what Jeff is trying to do with the network." - Piers Morgan told the Times, "

No comments:

Post a Comment