The Nigerian Army said it had destroyed two suspected operational vehicles of the Boko Haram sect in the ongoing operations in Maiduguri.
The spokesman of the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri, Lt.-Col. Mohammed Dole, announced this in a statement on October 31, 2013, Thursday.
Lt.-Col. Dole revealed the main goal of the destruction was to clear the insurgents terrorising motorists on high ways in Borno.
“We have been able to identify camps used by the terrorists in planning attacks against motorists and innocent villagers in Kaga Local Government Area of the state.
“Troops of the division, supported by the Nigerian Air Force, have been able to destroy these camps since we began the operations this week,” Dole said.
He said three surveillance motorcycles believed to be used by the sect in planning attacks had also been recovered.
“They mostly used the motorcycles in spying to plan for attacks on innocent people.
“The General Officer Commanding the division (GOC), Maj.-Gen. Obidah Ethan, is happy with the cooperation of the public towards supplying vital information on the movement of the terrorists.
“I therefore wish to express our gratitude to the public for the support and cooperation extended to us so far.
“We have been able to dislodge the terrorists from their camps which have been their hiding places.
“They are now in disarray, trying to save their lives instead of planning attacks on innocent persons,” Dole said.
Lt.-Col. Dole also informed the division had created patrol teams on major high ways in the state to prevent isolated attacks on motorists.
It would be added that in a parallel operation this week, a suspected Boko Haram member was killed and four others in Gadan Maiwa Village, Ningi Local Government Area, Bauchi State.