Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My AYC goals attracting big clubs – Aminu

Aminu

Flying Eagles striker Umar Aminu won the Top Scorer award at the Africa Youth Championship in Algeria. He shares his dream with MTNFootball.com
You scored four goals in four matches. Looking back now, could you have scored more goals in Algeria?
Yes, I should have scored a few more goals but probably inexperience caused me not to.
How would you rate your performance at the AYC?
I wasn’t fully fit for the tournament as both of my ankles were not good so I would score myself six out of 10. I believe if I were fully fit, I would have done a lot more.
Which of your goals at the AYC gave you the most joy?
It will have to be my second goal against DR Congo, a chip over the goalkeeper. It is a kind of goal that Lionel Messi would score, something I have watched on television.
Should Nigeria have finished third at the AYC?
As a Muslim, I will take it that we were destined to finish third in Algeria even though we ought to have been crowned champions again. I believe at the World Cup in Turkey we will do better than we did at the AYC. We will get to the final and go on to win the World Cup for the first time.
What targets have you set for yourself in Turkey?
I want to also finish as top scorer at the World Cup.
What are your thoughts about semi-final loss to Egypt?
It was not a difficult game. The fact was that we failed to take our chances and they took theirs.
Which team impressed you besides Nigeria?
Ghana. I watched them in the final against Egypt and they played with a lot of confidence. They attacked and defended as a team.
Had Nigeria clashed with them in the final, who would have won?
It would have been a tough final because we play a similar style, but we would have won.
It seems you play different roles for your club Wikki and the Flying Eagles.
At Wikki, I’m mostly used as a support striker, while in the national team I have been played as a winger.
Which are you more comfortable with?
I like to play as the second striker as this gives me the license to express myself because I could rove from the sides as well as the middle of the attack.
Describe yourself as a player.
I like to hold the ball, run with the ball and beat defenders on the line. I shoot with both legs even though my right is my stronger foot. I could improve aerially.
Two years ago, Uche Nwofor finished top scorer of the AYC also with four goals and months later he cashed in on that with a move to Dutch club VVV Venlo. Will it be the same story for you?
I have been bombarded with interests from agents representing Club Africain in Tunisia as well as some clubs in Turkey.
What was it like in your first season with Wikki?
I scored two goals in my debut season in the Nigeria premier league because I was mostly in the Flying Eagles camp. At the end of the season several clubs wanted to sign me – Sunshine Stars, Kano Pillars, Enyimba, Bayelsa United and Lobi Stars. But I opted to stay back at Wikki to further establish myself in the top league.
Which is your favourite club?
Arsenal because I love good football. It will be a dream to play for Arsene Wenger.
And your favourite player?
Barcelona’s Iniesta. He’s a very confident player and dribbles his way out of small spaces. He does the unexpected when you least expect it.
Which is your dream European league?
I would love to move to France, Portugal, Italy or even England. But the most important thing is to start out playing regular first-team football and then take it from there.
What does the future now hold for Umar Aminu?
I would wish to continue to move up in my career, get to play for the Super Eagles and become the African footballer of the Year, like Yekini, Kanu and Amuneke. I believe in myself and I’m willing to learn and fight when given my chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment