Three kids of same parents were burnt to death in an inferno which consumed 10 make-shift houses at Oroke Estate in Ovwian, Udu Council Area of Delta State on December 30, 2013, Monday.
According to an eyewitness, the source of the fire was probably caused either by candle light or generating sets, as there was power outage at time of the incident.
The tragic incident occurred at about 9.43 p.m. while both parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jakpor Emuruohwose, and their 11-year-old daughter were not at home.
The deceased, two boys and a girl, aged between 9 and 3, were in great health and hopeful before the tragic ended their lives.
Reportedly, the fire started from Emuruohwose’s side of the all zinc estate and the kids ran inside to the room as the fire was billowing.
“Two of the kids died in the fire and the other one died in the hospital from severe burns. Property worth millions of Naira were destroyed in the fire.“We made frantic efforts to quench the fire but it was beyond our power. By the time the fire service came, the havoc was already done and angry mob chased them away, pelting them with stones in anger.“Out of fear, the fire service officials drove away as their vehicle windscreens were shattered. Maybe, they would have assisted but for the angry youths,” a source of Vanguard narrated.
Sympathisers have gathered and discussed the incident at the scene of the tragedy on December 31, 2013, Tuesday.