Before heading to Switzerland for the World Economic Forum meeting, Goodluck Jonathan has officially presented the list of 12 new ministerial nominees to the Senate for furhter consideration.
It will be recalled that as of today, ten vacancies exist, as one Minister was fired in August and nine others in September, 2013. President Jonathan had, over a week ago, pledged he would submit the list of new Ministers to the Senate for confirmation, as soon as lawmakers resume from their recess.
The Nigerian Senate spokesperson, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, confirmed the news. Jonathan's letter was read by Senate President David Mark at plenary in Abuja.
The nominees are
- ex-National Security Adviser, General Aliu Mohammed Gusau (Zamfara State),
- Nigerian Ambassador to Ghana, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro (Lagos),
- Hon. Mohammed Wakil (Borno State),
- Abduljelili Oyewale Adesiyan (Osun State),
- Ambassador Aminu Wali (Kano State),
- Mrs. Hadjia Jemila Salik (Kano State),
- Mrs. Akon Etim Eyakenyi (Akwa Ibom State),
- Laurencia Labaran Mallam (Kaduna State),
- Dr. Tamuno W. Danagogo (Rivers State),
- Asabe Asmau Ahmed (Niger State),
- Mr. Boni Haruna (Adamawa State)
- Dr. Khaliru Alhassan (Sokoto State).
Also on Tuesday, Jonathan presented the names of the newly appointed Chief of Defence Staff and Service Chiefs for confirmation.
They are the
- Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshall Alex Badeh,
- Chief of Army Staff, Major General Kenneth Minimah,
- Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Usman Jibrin,
- Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice Marshall Adesola Amosu.